Why we ask our patients NOT to wear perfume


Perfume is created by blends of chemicals, which are listed as ‘fragrance’. Fragrance is an unregulated term that could indicate numerous toxic substances such as phthalates (plasticizers), solvents, allergens, and hormone disrupters. Reducing exposures to toxic chemicals may help reduce risk of cancer, autoimmune diseases, and other chronic diseases.

It is too easy to get too much

Fragrance can be found in lotions, make-up, perfumes, soap, laundry soap, shampoo, candles, and air fresheners. Multiple daily exposures may affect your immune and hormonal system. The optimal strategy for health is avoiding fragrance in all products.

Negative effect to others

A while after applying it, you can’t smell your perfume, but others can. Some people may like how you smell. Other people may have severe allergic reactions, headaches, brain fog, dizziness, nausea, or even pass out when exposed to fragrance. They may also respond to the scents left on clothing.

Non-industry disclosure

Because fragrance is not currently regulated, you don’t know what you are putting on your skin. Until you have the ability to know what chemicals you apply to your skin, it is best to refrain from applying hidden toxins.

Skin, a super absorber

It has been shown that toxins applied to the skin are more toxic than if eaten. Toxins applied to the skin may migrate to other tissues including breast tissue and developing babies.


At Idaho Naturopathic Medicine we ask you to refrain from wearing any perfume, scented products, or scented clothing when entering our clinic for appointments or supplement refills. We strive to be fragrance free 100% of the time.